Chivayo denies Highlanders ‘takeover,’ maintains he is just a fan

BULAWAYO – Businessman Wicknell Chivayo on Wednesday denied that he plans to take over Highlanders Football Club, saying his involvement remains limited to sponsorship, after donating more than US$600,000 to the Bulawayo giants.

Chivayo, now the club’s biggest sponsor, loomed large at Highlanders’ annual general meeting on Saturday, where club executives were grilled by members over his growing influence.

The controversy has been fuelled by the appointment of former Warriors captain Benjani Mwaruwari as head coach last week, barely a month after the club had announced South African Thabo Senong as their new coach.

Senong’s appointment was subsequently cancelled after he was denied a work permit under unclear circumstances, triggering accusations that club officials were acting at the behest of the millionaire businessman.

“For the avoidance of doubt, and contrary to some sentiments expressed in certain quarters, I wish to state unequivocally that I have no intention whatsoever to control or take over Highlanders Football Club,” Chivayo said in a statement.

He insisted that his role “remains purely that of a supporter, driven by love for Bosso and belief in Zimbabwe’s future”.

Chivayo announced a US$300,000 cash donation to the club, saying the money would go towards the signing-on fee and annual salary of the new head coach, the settlement of outstanding player salary arrears, and the recruitment of new players ahead of the upcoming season.

In addition, Highlanders will receive over $80,000 to cover Mwaruwari’s vehicle and a new 75-seater Higer executive team bus valued at about US$285,000. Chivayo said the bus will be fitted with “luxurious amenities including a toilet, reclining seats and executive onboard facilities”, particularly for away trips.

Chivayo, who made his fortune from state contracts and is frequently seen in the company of President Emmerson Mnangagwa, said Mwaruwari was the right man to lead the club.

“The expertise and pedigree of Benji speaks for itself,” he said. “His exposure to football at regional level in South Africa, coupled with the rare privilege of being one of the few Zimbabwean footballers to play in European leagues, make him the best coach option for Bosso.

“It is high time we relied on our own football experts, especially at a time when performance has not been very satisfactory.”

The post Chivayo denies Highlanders ‘takeover,’ maintains he is just a fan appeared first on Zimbabwe News Now.

Enjoyed this post? Share it!

 

Leave a comment