Muswere kicked out of information as Mnangagwa rejigs cabinet

HARARE – President Emmerson Mnangagwa on Wednesday announced a mini-cabinet reshuffle, appointing Soda Zhemu as the new minister of information, public relations and broadcasting services while shunting Jenfan Muswere to the ministry of skills audit and development.

The changes, announced by chief cabinet secretary Martin Rushwaya, also see former skills audit minister Paul Mavhima taking over as national housing minister, replacing Zhemu.

Muswere’s removal from the influential information portfolio is the most notable shift and follows a turbulent week in which he attempted to dismiss Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation (ZBC) board chairperson Helliate Rushwaya, only to reverse the decision after Mnangagwa reportedly intervened while on a trip to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.

Sources said the fallout from the episode was significant, exposing tensions within government over control of the state broadcaster.

Announcing Rushwaya’s ouster, Muswere had appointed Chipo Nheta as interim board chairperson and Ruvheneko Parirenyatwa as his deputy.

The Herald state-controlled Herald newspaper had already printed 3,000 copies of the next day’s paper with Muswere’s announcement before the minister ordered a recall of the papers. The newspaper incurred substantial losses, insiders said.

Muswere’s removal reflects Mnangagwa’s continuing concerns over what he reportedly views as weak and poorly coordinated government messaging.

The mini-reshuffle could be the first of broader changes to Mnangagwa’s cabinet, with reports suggesting he is considering bringing retired Zimbabwe Defence Forces commander General Phillip Valerio Sibanda into government, possibly as minister of lands.

The post Muswere kicked out of information as Mnangagwa rejigs cabinet appeared first on Zimbabwe News Now.

Enjoyed this post? Share it!

 

Leave a comment