KWEKWE – The family of slain Citizens Coalition for Change (CCC) activist Mboneni Ncube says it feels let down by Zimbabwean courts when it finds the activist’s murder suspects still walking free exactly a year after the crime.
Ncube was fatally stabbed with a spear by alleged Zanu PF supporters February 27 last year during an ill-fated CCC rally addressed by party leader Nelson Chamisa in Kwekwe.
Exactly a year after the callous attack, the activist’s sister, Judith Ncube lamented perceived reluctance by Zimbabwean authorities to bring the culprits to justice.
“How do you expect us to feel besides pain that we have not seen any justice except being threatened by the same killers,” she said.
“We are not happy because there has never been any justice, the criminals are still being protected by the law.
“We also feel let down by the human rights movement; we thought they were going to help us push for justice but zero at all.”
Initially, 16 suspects were arrested for Mboneni’s murder, but after police investigations, 11 were released, leaving the remaining five to face murder and public violence charges.
Last April, Bulawayo High Court Judge, Martin Makonese granted bail to the five suspects; Edmore Shoshera, Albert Maketo, Talent Imbayago, Panashe Mukavaza, and Percy Mukwaturi.
Judith said the family is now living in fear from possible attack by Ncube’s murder suspects, who keep threatening them to stop attending her brother’s murder trial.
She singled out one Kennedy Simbi as one of the culprits who have been sending threats.