Post-mortem reveals electric shock damaged Harare teen’s heart

HARARE – A 15-year-old girl, who was electrocuted last week while trying to retrieve her slides she had lost in flowing water in a Harare suburb, was buried on Saturday after post-mortem revealed the electric shock attacked her heart.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a close family member told ZimLive weekend that Anotida Tendai Mazadza was laid to rest Sunday afternoon at Warren Hills cemetery.

“I can confirm that she was struck from her left leg up to the heart and we have a picture of it but cannot reveal since it’s quite sensitive,” she said.

The incident took place in Warren Park 1 suburb at around 7pm on Tuesday as the teenager was walking home with two friends.

The mishap is believed to have been a result of some damaged underground ZESA cables.

Zimbabwe Electricity Transmission and Distribution Company (ZETDC) spokesperson Prosper Mutswiri said the entity will issue a statement after completing investigations into the incident.

“We sent our team of engineers to check on the area suspected to have some damaged cables and we will provide details as to what transpired,” he said.

“We cannot speak yet on the post-mortem results which are separate to our investigations but we will make sure everything is treated accordingly.”

Meanwhile, neighbours have linked the incident to some armoured power cables said to have been accidentally damaged some four years back by a man who was digging trenches to prepare a foundation for a home he was building on an infill stand he got from the city council.

The tampering with the cables is said to have resulted in some power outage which lasted three months in the affected area.

Residents believe ZESA never properly fixed the cables, leading to the tragedy.

Ward 15 councillor Tichaona Mhetu told ZimLive that he has tried in vain to stop the construction of a structure at the said residential property.

“It’s regrettable to see this happening. Since 2017, that area has been a cause for concern. I did everything to stop construction, and everything was halted,” he said.

Enia Murove, a resident, said it was common to hear the sound of sparks at the place during the night and suspects this could be the result of some exposed cables coming into contact with water.

Enjoyed this post? Share it!

 

Leave a comment