Court hears of Muvevi’s gory killing feat as ex-cop gets fourth murder charge

HARARE – Jaison Muvevi, who allegedly shot and killed a police officer and two others last week, has been charged with yet another murder count as court heard Friday how the ex-detective easily put down his victims to author what has arguably become the country’s most followed crime story in many years.

It emerged when the 43-year-old suspect appeared in court Friday that he killed another person in November last year.

While investigating the current crimes, police discovered some medical documents linking him to the murder of one Nyarai Round from Chinamhora, Domboshawa outside Harare.

Court heard Muvevi allegedly shot Round in Harare’s Eastlea suburb on November 19 last year, while in company of other two men who have not been identified.

It is alleged he shot the victim in the head before he forced Round’s companion, Nyasha Eusen into his vehicle and fled from the scene.

Court heard, on the day, Muvevi accidentally shot himself on his elbow and later sought medical attention.

In his latest criminal allegations, Muvevi is accused of killing an apostolic sect leader, Crispen Kanerusine, Wedza police station officer in charge Maxwell Hove and Munashe Munjani, a bartender at Murambinda business centre on January 13 this year.

He is also facing two attempted murder counts.

The suspect was not asked to plead when he appeared in court Friday and was remanded in custody to February 6 after being advised to seek bail at the High Court.

In the second count, it is alleged, Muvevi arrived at Chrispen Kanerusine’s shrine while in company of one Shupikai Muvevi.

He was dressed in all black, a colour which is not allowed at the shrine.

The ex-detective was then given a white cloth to cover himself.

Court heard Muvevi sat among other congregants when Kanerusine was preaching while kneeling in front of the worshipers.

It is alleged he went back to his vehicle to fetch an FN browning pistol and hid it under the white cloth he was covering himself with.

“He concealed it on his back covering himself with the white gown as he walked back to the shrine.

“He went straight to confront the deceased who was kneeling whilst praying and shot him once above his left eye and he fell down,” reads court papers.

Frightened congregants immediately fled the scene and informed police who swiftly reacted to the incident.

Court heard Hove mobilised his reaction team before heading out.

Along the way, the officers met Muvevi who was parked by the roadside along Wedza-Murambinda highway.

Hove and team blocked his vehicle intending to confront him but he opened firing at the police officers.

“As they were disembarking from the vehicle to confront the accused, the accused opened fire and shot Hove thrice on the head,” prosecutors allege.

Hove, who was on the front passenger seat, died on the spot.

The other officers who were in his company fled, dropping their rifles in the process.

Constable Tendai Mugova, who is the first complainant in the matter, was shot in the stomach and on his pelvis, sustaining serious injuries.

It is further alleged Muvevi then took an FN rifle with a magazine of ten rounds and a CZ pistol which had three rounds.

Muvevi made a U-turn and drove towards Murambinda business centre where he parked his car in front of Ruzema Bottle Store.

He then called Munjani who was in the company of two friends and had a brief chat with him before he suddenly withdrew his pistol and shot him once in the head.

Munjani died on the spot while Muvevi fled from the scene.

The following day, Muvevi went to Mutare Boys High School where he attempted to kill the second complainant who had refused to give him food.

He allegedly fired three shots but missed him.

Muvevi then fled into Mozambique where he was apprehended.

Enjoyed this post? Share it!